Equilab's advanced technology uses your smartphone (and/or smartwatch) to enables equestrians to track their rides with ease. To ensure that Equilab tracks your trainings as accurately as possible, you can optimize both your physical setup and your mobile device settings.
- Device Positioning: For Equilab to accurately track the gait and speed of your horse, it's important that your mobile device be securely attached to your body so that it doesn't move around within a pocket while riding. Generally, this can best be accomplished by placing your phone in a pocket that holds it tightly against your upper leg or chest/abdomen. Armbands that keep your device secured against your upper arm also work well.
- Strong Cellular Reception: Riding indoors, in valleys, or in remote areas can limit your internet connection and inhibit Equilab's functionality. This is most important for GPS (including Safety Tracking).
- Note: Riding in smaller arenas often leads to lower GPS tracking accuracy.
- Be sure your device has a sufficiently charged battery. Most phones automatically limit their GPS tracking after a while because it consumes more energy, which can interfere with rides. Some devices enable you to change your settings to enable GPS tracking at low battery levels.
Mobile Device Settings
- Shut off other apps before riding (especially if they also track location). To help preserve battery life and ensure your device has enough processing power and signal for Equilab to work properly, we strongly recommend not using other apps while using Equilab to track your rides.
- Ensure your device is not set to Low Power Mode. This will prevent GPS from cutting off intermittently in attempt to save battery.
- Turn off battery optimization for Equilab. Some devices will automatically limit an app's activity if it is using lots of battery. To turn of such restrictions for Equilab, please reference one of these support articles based on your device type.
- If you ride for multiple hours, ensure your device does not automatically shut-off GPS tracking. Some devices will automatically limit GPS tracking activity if they have been sharing locations continuously for an extended period of time. If you believe this may be happening to your device, we recommend looking into your device to see if you can update these settings.
- Location services: To do make sure you have the best possible settings for your device's GPS, take the following steps:
- Open the Settings app on your mobile device
- Scroll all the way down until you reach the Equilab option, and tap it (this will be in a section of all apps on your device, organized alphabetically)
- Ensure the Cellular Data toggle is on (green)
- Tap the Location option
- Select either the "While Using the App" or "Always" option (if you want to get reminders to start tracking when close to your stable) - which enables Equilab to analyze your location while riding
- Also ensure that the Precise Location toggle is on (green)
Please note that some devices have lower quality hardware components such as GPS trackers and accelerometers, which can limit the overall accuracy Equilab is able to achieve. Apple and Samsung mobile devices typically provide the highest level of accuracy.
If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We're always here to help.